Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Not your typical fire photo..


I was poking around newseum today and this paper caught my eye. Since we started working on our centerpieces I've been noticing them a lot more and REALLY enjoyed this one. Well, I didn't enjoy it in the sense that it is about a 2-year-old boy dying in a fire, but I think that the image used is VERY effective. Without trying to sound insensitive, I'm sick of seeing that typical picture of friends/family members crying at a scene where a tragedy has occured... you all know what I'm talking about. This centerpiece in the Winston-Salem Journal used a photo of a burnt Bible on the family's front porch where the little boy died. It's eye-catching and really hits home. Even if you're not religious you know that there is some sort of feeling applied to a burnt Bible. I think the best thing about this image is that it isn't just art, its an actual picture from the scene. To be honest, the first thing I thought after seeing this picture was the family crying around the remains of the house. I guess that just proves my point that having the typical "tragedy photo" would be a little redundant...

No comments: