Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Who does it best?




I though it was interesting the way these two different Massachusetts papers ran the same centerpiece. I'm not sure how the two are affiliated - the Patriot Ledger is out of Quincy, Mass. and The Enterprise is out of Stockton, Mass. - but it's clear that they're working with the same series about "wasted youth" (though The Patriot says it's a 3-part series and The Enterprise says it's a 4-day series). Anyway, I thought these slightly different layouts highlighted how much of a difference subtle changes can make. Personally, I like The Ledger's font and placement for the "Desperate Measures" hed better than The Enterprise's. I think it helps show the severity of the issue. I think it's interesting how they both used the large, red letters to start the story. It's also interesting how both photos have the same cutline, but The Enterprise capped and bolded the first part of the sentence in theirs while the Patriot Ledger used a small bullet point to set theirs off.

Overall, I don't know if I can say I necessarily like one better than the other - they're so similar - but it really does get you thinking about design!

2 comments:

Emily Behrendt said...

What a neat idea for a blog! Yes, I like the top one better, too. It seems more serious to me somehow.

ljt said...

I agree. The top one has more coherence, doesn't it?