Friday, March 23, 2007

Why are newspapers obsessed with weather stories?


Rain is not news -- even in the desert. So why, then, do newspapers tend to go into a tizzie every time a few drops fall. I realize yesterday's storm was a bit uncommon, but so is a major presidential candidate's wife finding out she has a recurrence of cancer. As is a Senate panel approving subpoenas for members of the president's staff. Those things didn't appear on the front page of the Trib this morning, though our cloudy skies did.

2 comments:

MASON said...

wait... it RAINED yesterday?!? I sure am glad the Trib pointed that out for all of us.

ryan kost said...

Well, The State Press is guilty of the weather coverage, too. For us any way it was a slow news day and we don't front wire. I do wish we could have offered something more interesting. I wonder though, and not for the sake of defending our rainy centerpiece, whether weather might interest more people. If you notice Monday's Republic, grass was the centerpiece though the point of the redesign was essential news fast. I'm kind of rambling. I do agree though, way too much BS news most of the time.