Friday, March 23, 2007

Really though?

I was reading through Romenesko today - I'm addicted - and came across an entry regarding a national journal article (it's linked) about how newspapers have given up on design. I also read not too long ago about how no U.S. papers won some design contest because they're not pushing the envelope (I forgot the link, sorry).

Anyway, I think together they're both very interesting because essentially they're both giving up on American newspaper design. I don't necessarily think they should. I would agree that not enough papers experiment with design as they should, but I think there are some notable exceptions, the Virginian-Pilot being one of the most obvious. What are your thoughts?

Also this past week (Wed - Fri), we've been trying to spice up the front page a bit for The State Press so if anybody has suggestions for future issues, please let me know. We have five weeks left, I figure I better play around while I can! Oh and the person who can catch my major mistake in the issue picture (it's on the front page) rocks.

2 comments:

ljt said...

Oh. Ouch ouch ouch! :-)

Emily Behrendt said...

I really like the experimenting you've done with the front page, it looks very nice! I don't believe what they're saying is true, though. It goes against everything I've heard for the past several years about the future of newspapers and design.

At least, I hope it's not true. I like my newspapers to be nice and creative. =)