Monday, March 19, 2007

Four years in Iraq: Cool centerpiece


This centerpiece took a different approach to the war and I found it really interesting. It tells the stories of the war's supporters, and I like how it stacked three pictures on top of each other. The top picture is of a Korean War veteran, who is an avid supporter. The woman in the middle is holding the dogtags of her brother, who was killed in Iraq. The woman on the bottom supports the war, which creates a rift between her and her family. All three pictures were taken by different photographers, and I think they put together the triple cutline very well.
While the pictures are creative and exciting, they leave little room for the story on the side. The headline is stunted and awkwardly-worded, and they even tried to cram an info box into the rail, which I think makes it look cluttered and confusing.
The things I like about the pictures help to balance out the negative aspects of the story layout. All and all, I'd give this page a "B+" for effort.

No comments: