Sunday, February 25, 2007

Virginian-Pilot - not always pefect?



At the risk of seeming like a nerd for posting twice in one day...I was looking through front pages on Newseum today and couldn't help but notice that there's a centerpiece layout in the Virginia-Pilot that I actually don't like for a change. The story, which is about people who survive cancer but then suffer side affects from their treatments, seems interesting...but I think the hed and dek here are pretty dull (though granted, I don't know how much you can/should spice up a hed and dek for a story about cancer.) Still, I really HATE the graphic - at first, I didn't even understand how it tied into the story. Then I realized it's someone jumping through fire...and getting burned (get it...they make it through the "hoop" of cancer, but get burned by the cure.) It seems like a really silly graphic for a serious and interesting story...I would much rather see a compelling photo of a cancer survivor or some sort of other graphic that shows the gravity of the situation. This graphic looks like bad clipart to me. What do you all think?

Here's a link to the actual story if you want to read it: http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=120125&ran=107894&tref=po

1 comment:

ryan kost said...

I completely agree. For once I don't like their design. Nice catch.