Sunday, February 25, 2007

Would you flip to A12?


Since Stephanie got us started with the magazine hedline, I thought I'd jump in, too. The NY Times is also the subject of my post. I noticed today that they tried an unusual feature-y approach on a story about soldiers wounded in the line of duty and their road to recovery. The package is actually a glorified refer to a complete story within.

What I thought was interesting about the treatment is the way it so heavily relies on the photographs. The catchline for the package is about the size of a deckhed, and only two graphs of the story make it on A1. What’s more, the two graphs are written in a pretty mater-of-fact way that doesn’t really leave the reader hanging. Again, it seems they’re banking entirely on photos to get you to move inside.

1 comment:

Stephanie Berger said...

In a lot of cases, I don't know if this approach would work, but I do think it does in this case because the pictures are compelling and they're on a current topic of interest. Though I think I would have made the catchline in a slightly larger font.