Sunday, February 25, 2007

Bad headline?

Well, I know we are supposed to be making postings on this blog, and I’m not exactly sure if this is along the lines of what you’re looking for, but here goes. (Let me know!)

Anyway, I found this article about magazine “crews,” those groups of young adults that sell magazine subscriptions (sometimes here on campus at ASU) to be very interesting. The New York Times shed light on the gang-like atmosphere of magazine crews that I didn’t even know existed: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/21/us/21magcrew.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

From an editing point of view, though, what was very interesting was the post on Blogslot (http://theslot.blogspot.com) about the story’s headline. I guess the headline that they ended up going with on the story, “For Youths, a Grim Tour on Magazine Crews” is different than the one they were originally using: “Abuses Dog Paths of Young Magazine ‘Crews.’” Bill Walsh analyzes the problematic nature of using “abuses” as a the subject and “dog” as the verb – interesting stuff. Plus, like I said, the article itself is definitely worth reading.

1 comment:

ljt said...

YES! This is exactly what is called for. You named something, said why it interested you, developed it a bit and gave us links to round it out. Thanks. :-)