Monday, March 24, 2008

Religion and Newspapers

I was looking through Sunday's front pages earlier, and came across this one from Dolan, Alabama. Obviously, a lot of papers acknowledged the fact that it was Easter Sunday, which is not necessarily a bad thing. However, I'm not sure what I think about the huge banner at the top of the page that says "Happy Easter Sunday." Easter is a huge religious holiday, but is it the newspapers job to point out only certain religious holidays. For example, I doubt this paper will have a huge banner saying "Happy Hanukkah" later this year, or even "Happy Kwanzaa." It may sound like I'm blowing this out of proportion, but it is a newspaper's job to present the news. Clearly, I don't mind them saying Happy Easter as it is a major holiday in the Christian religion, but I think that if they are going to acknowledge Christian holidays they should also acknowledge holidays of other religions. Not everyone in this country is Christian, and not everyone who reads this newspaper I'm sure. Just because a certain thing is predominant in our country, doesn't mean that everything else should be forgotten or ignored.

No comments: