Sunday, March 2, 2008

Community Feedback

I just read an article that was posted on Poynter a week ago about news organizations seeking feedback from consumers. The article talks about a Spokane, Wash. newspaper that will be meeting in the town library with members of the community who wish to give their comments about the paper. Apparently the paper has a new ethics policy, and they want to see what people have to say because these days many people don't trust what they read in the paper or hear on the news. I think this is one of the best ideas I've ever heard in my life. OK, maybe not in my life, but it is a good idea. Newspapers are always talking about how they strive to figure out what people like and don't like so that they can start molding the paper that way. However, it doesn't seem to me like they're making enough changes. Obviously, things have changed, but there are still a lot of people out there who find the paper boring, and even worse, they question the credibility of some of the stories. By actually taking time to meet with citizens and hear what they have to say, the paper is saying that they really are looking to make the paper into more of what the people want. Another thing in the story that impressed me is the fact that the paper has an online feature called "The Transparent Newsroom" where people learn about the work journalists do so they can better understand where their news is coming from. I think this, too, is a great idea. Hopefully more papers will do what the Spokesman-Review is doing.

No comments: