Friday, March 7, 2008

Making sure your recorder doesn't fail...


I happened to come across this blog post that featured the above photo with the question of "what is the woman doing with all those recorders?"

Some of the comments on the post were pretty amusing, but I thought the picture overall told more of a story than just her incredible ability to hold six recorders at once. The reliance on recorders is so prevalent today and seems to be increasing by the day. While I recall in most of my classes the professors still preach jotting notes and such, it seems like a lot of those in the field have decided that to be an unnecessary measure.

But as someone who has had both a tape recorder and digital recorder fail -- I can definitely appreciate the tactic of bringing six different recorders to ensure a complete copy.

2 comments:

ljt said...

I so know what you mean. One of my first assignments for a paper was to interview a Miss America. I was 19 or 20 at the time and was perfectly blase about it all -- until I met her. She had the longest, thickest eyelashes I'd ever seen in my life and I had to work against staring at them while I wondered how she had the eyelid strength to lift them up after the downward part of a blink! I was so befuddled that I messed up the recording (tape in those days) and learned forever the value of written notes and a trained memory.

However, with regard to the picture you posted here, there might be another explanation. Since Obama's a Big Catch, subjectwise, the reporter might be carrying recorders for other reporters. Sort of like, "Hey! How's you get so close? Would you mind holding my recorder for me?"

ljt said...

Oops. "How'd" not what I wrote. Everybody needs an editor.