Sunday, March 30, 2008

Facebook Sticker Errors

The growing communication device we call Facebook has created yet another application: stickers. While these stickers that one shares with friends or gives to oneself are often witty, cute, or artsy, some of the most popular ones are also grammatically incorrect.

While it probably does not matter to most that others are posting grammatically incorrect stickers on one anothers virtual walls, as a fan of words and an individual taking advanced editing, it really does bother me.

I know I don't always use correct grammar in Facebook conversations or those I have on a daily basis with friends or family, but why thousands of people are willingly participating in the sharing of grammatically incorrect stickers is beyond me.

Here are some examples that are most annoying:

1. Im not your ordinary girl - (672,757 shares) Why didn't the person just add the dang apostrophe?

2. friends is what completes my life - (583,613 shares) I don't even care that 'friends' is not capitalized because the overall sentence is just so incorrect.

3. those with bad grammar should be shooted - (150,357 shares) If one really does want to shoot those with bad grammar, they would definitely not share this sticker.

4. me and you is friends . . . - (129,310 shares) Why do people find this use of grammar acceptable? Please, I really want to know.

5. Well be the old ladies causing trouble in the nursing home - (75,802 shares) Again, add the apostrophe. It's important.

6. Your only as strong as the tables you dance on, the drinks you mix, & the friends you roll with. - (? shares) Why would one use the wrong 'your,' but take the time to insert the period? I just don't know.

No comments: