Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Shaq's Divorce

Sorry to keep going to the sports well for my blog posts, but that's a great deal of what I read. Anyway, one of the big stories of the day on many sports sites (and probably some general news sites as well) has been Shaquille O'Neal filing for divorce from his wife. Now Shaq is certainly a big star in both the sports and entertainment world, but should his divorce really be a news story? This has nothing to do with what he is famous for - his basketball abilities - and it is not as though there were any crimes committed, such as a domestic violence charge, which led to his divorce. It just seems like sports personalities are starting to become more and more like the entertainment world stars (actors, singers, etc.) where their personal lives are being covered as news stories. Just last week, a big story was Tom Brady's ex-girlfriend giving birth to his child. Who cares? It has nothing to do with Brady's football play. As long as Shaq and Brady are still playing their sport and their personal lives are not affecting their play in any significant way, why are their personal stories in the news? I just don't think these are stories, but I wonder what anyone else thinks about this.

1 comment:

Ben Glicksman said...

I've noticed that trend too. I don't care that Shaq is getting divorced as long as it does not impact his play on the court. I understand the human interest aspect of it and I appreciate that others may care, but it certainly isn't sports.