Monday, September 3, 2007

...and copy editors cringe...



This I found in an otherwise interesting little publication called "Eco-Structure." My apologies; I couldn't scan the whole page because it's oversized, and for some unknown reason this story was not included in the pub's online archives. Imagine that. However, since the error announces itself in the headline, I wasn't too worried about the rest of the page. Initially, I thought it was a play on words...but as I worked my way through the body copy (finding another similar error in the process), I slowly realized that yes, it was a legitimate error -- and a huge one.

Is it just that copy editors don't get paid enough? : ) That's it! If we paid copy editors what we pay brain surgeons, these errors wouldn't happen! On the other hand, that would give rise to a whole new industry...copy editor malpractice. I can see it now...spurious lawsuits...attorneys raking in thousands of dollars arguing the usage of "their" vs. "there"...witnesses weeping on the stand..."but I thought it WAS a compound modifier!"

: )

2 comments:

ljt said...

I think you're on to something! And I wonder if there might be a business in rental tenets...

LH said...

After all, isn't intellectual property proprietary? And would we have the option to change it or paraphrase it? If so, would we still have to pay rental on such a tenet?

I'm thinking something like, "Ask not what the world can do for you; ask, rather, what you can do for the world!" I like that. Don't know if I'd pay JFK royalties for it, though...

: )