Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Picnic or dog fight? Semantics?


On Reuter's "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" -- which posts reader complaints regarding articles or photos with errors and then corrects/apologizes/clarifies them -- one post regarding a blast in Afghanistan claimed the victims were at a picnic in the cutline when in fact they were at a dog fight.

The following complaint was fairly scathing:

They were not picnicing, they were murdering dogs. I hope you get your priorities straight, I usually rely on you for my news.

Chris F.

This error, which seems all too common, reminded me a lot of the reports right after Hurricane Katrina of a black person "looting" and a white person "scavenging." But at least Reuters puts their errors out there.

The G, B and U blog

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for mentioning my Reuters blog, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Feel free to add it to your blogroll...

regards,
Bob Basler