Monday, October 1, 2007

Stories are miles apart on death of N.Y. woman in PHX airport cell

I first saw this story when I logged on to AOL this morning. The splash page had the image, seen in this post, along with a link to the AP story. At about 8 a.m., there were about 10,000 comments posted to the online report. By noon, there were close to 17,000. That amazed me. But what amazed me more was comparing the Republic's report to one in the (New York) Daily News after a friend suggested I take a look. In one, the police reports are unquestioned. In the other, airline workers are quoted as saying the woman called for help and said she was sick. My alert friend, DeWitt Smith, later sent me the links to The New York Times and CNN stories. I urge you to look at all of these. If you are interested in extra credit, do some more digging in other places -- don't forget the print versions -- and be prepared to talk in class Wednesday about the differences you find in the reporting. UPDATE: The East Valley Tribune posted a deftly backgrounded story at 5:54 a.m.

No comments: