Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The State Press

I was confused by a story in The State Press today with the headline "Interfraternity Council changes alcohol policies." The deck reads "Revisions are not in response to recent sexual allegations, president says." However, the first sentence reads, "In light of recent sexual assault allegations against the Greek Community, the ASU Interfraternity Council met Monday and passed what its president called an "extremely strict" event policy to prevent future incidents." Some readers, including me, might interpret the deck and lead as being contradictory statements. The first sentence seems to say that changes were made in response to the allegations. I found myself asking, "Well, which is it?" Also, I found the graph on the front page misleading. For example, it shows that arson is up 200 percent. This is shocking news to some, but when you take into account that there were no arson incidents in 2005 and 2 in 2006, it doesn't seem so shocking (at least to me). Did anyone else find it somewhat misleading?

No comments: