Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Cliches in headlines, stories

It was the time of my life, but it's a good thing I didn't hop on the bandwagon to enjoy a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to break the bank and charge up a storm.

I didn't realize how important it was to avoid cliches in both headlines and stories until my magazine writing class this year. The man I was interviewing, who actually had a very interesting story to tell, liked to speak in cliches. Before long, I realized I was actually putting his cliched phrases into my own words, instead of just using the cliches in the quote. Tight, straight-to-the-point quotes are important in a story, but too much is too much. Cliches only make a quote longer and harder to understand, because the reader is required to not only understand the point of the quote, but also the double meaning behind the cliche.

No comments: